Can varbinary data type be compressed?

Data compression is one of the useful tools of sql server. But not all data types can be really compressed. What about varbinary data type?

I have table that has a column with data type image. Since image data type column size is so big, this table is getting bigger and bigger every day. I wanted to compress it, but initial signs were not so hopeful. The calculation of compression ratio was almost 0.


Then I converted  image data type to varbinary(max). The size of table became lesser. This was a good news for me.

The next step was to test compression. Then I compressed the table and compression ratio became almost % 50.

The results of this study was very informative. Yes varbinary data type can be compressed.

By the way don't use image data type because it is deprecated.

No comments:

Post a Comment